Thursday, April 17, 2008

Well here we go

All my stuff in the back of the car

As I type this, I am sitting in Tucumcari, NM. I just arrived in New Mexico today. I stopped in Amarillo, TX last night since it was starting to get dark. I only had a 2-hour drive today to get here.

A West Texas dirt twister

I figured it would be a good idea to not spend most of today driving and instead spend most of today getting accustomed to the camping equipment. You see, I haven't actually camped since the Top Pop last took me in the early 90's. Freeland hooked me up nicely and I have the finest equipment one could hope to get for free. A great REI tent with all the cooking equipment I could possibly need. Even a sleeping bag and air mattress to help me through the night.



Ok, so all this brought about lesson one on the trip: don't camp when it's raining and freezing outside. I really wish I had picked another day to learn how to use the camping stuff. I did successfully get the tent set up, although it is wet inside. I'm sitting in my truck right now hoping the tent will dry out. Otherwise, I'm sleeping in the truck and will have put the tent up for nothing.

I also learned another lesson today. Don't buy too much at the grocery store. I swear I could live the next month off everything I bought today. Good idea? No, because I don't really have anywhere to put it.

I'm glad to be learning some of these lessons early in the trip. Hopefully it will only help the rest of the way. So I'm cold, freezing actually, and wet and bored and hungry. Life is good out on the road.

2 comments:

randyz said...

be strong! the start of something new is always hard. stick it out and soon you will be glad you did.

randyz said...

be strong! the start of something new is always hard. stick it out and soon you will be glad you did.